Blog#4:Balancing PLN, Media Literacy, & Public Discourse

-Consider how you would curate your social media with a critical public audience.

Jody Vance said, β€œsocial media complicates things but at the same time exposes your strengths as well”. So I had to be very careful when I was creating my digital identity. A good digital identity can make more people interested in learning about me, but it can also make many people criticize me. On the Internet, many people are picky. I can’t get everyone around me to like my digital identity, so I choose to minimize arguments with my critics and instead communicate with those who support me.

-Identify the risks and benefits of engaging with a public audience in a media space – what are the risks for a public figure or person in a position of trust (educator, lawyer, government official)?

When public figures interact with the public in the media space, there are advantages and disadvantages. Because public figures usually have great influence, people seldom participate in thinking about their opinions. For some members of the public, if they like a public figure, they may unconditionally support their opinion, and if they hate a public figure, they may unconditionally oppose it rather than considering whether it is right or wrong. So it is easy for public figures to change people’s minds directly when they are in contact with them. If the public figures’ opinions are right, it will do good to society, and vice versa.

-Consider how to best address negative replies and critiques reflective of your personal values and employer social media policy?

As for such negative comments, I will try to solve the problem with friendly communication, so that we can agree on the point of view.However, in most cases, it is difficult for people to agree through comments in the media space.Some people even post negative reviews not to express their opinions, but to show that they are different.I choose to ignore them.

-Open dialogues about media literacy and factual information can create conflict, why does this happen?

Open dialogues about media literacy and factual information can create conflict because they have different objectives. Media literacy is about making the information interesting and interesting to the public, while factual information is about putting the truth of the information first. Media literacy leads to fake news, which is contrary to factual information, so there is a conflict between media literacy and factual information.

-What is the benefit of having a PLN that values media literacy?

A PLN with media literacy can make the public more interested, make its information (whether true or false) more popular, and people will be more willing to participate in the discussion, which can make a PLN quickly become influential.

Reference

Media Literacy – Facts Matter – Julie Smith – Course YouTube Channel https://youtu.be/57r3-aEnci0  

Media Voices – Jody Vance  – Course YouTube Channel https://youtu.be/E-NnpQJdl0A

21st Century Skills – Learning for Life In Our Times Trilling, B & Fadel, C

Digital Literacy Skills – Media Literacy Chapter 4 pp.66 https://learning-oreilly-com.ezproxy.library.uvic.ca/library/view/21st-century-skills/9780470475386/fade_9780470475386_oeb_c04_r1.htm

1. omarelhalabi

Hi Evan,

Thank you for the post! Definitely can pinpoint similarities in our thinking. Firstly, I totally agree with being very cautious when creating our digital identity. To your point, it’s crucial to acknowledge that a strong identity and presence online will attract more people to be interested in your digital life. This is why it’s important to limit the amount of possible negative altercations that could arise in the online environment.

Good take on negative comments! Approaching a situation with an open perspective will alleviate some the possible tension surrounding the comment. However, I do agree that certain people create negative comments for the sake of being different. Which is unfortunate because it could be hard to have a conversation and discuss differences in our thinking.

Overall, very good blog post! Thanks again.

2. Xin Yu

I agree with you. It creates a negative word of mouth. Bloggers began spreading negative information about their targets. Information leaks and leaks can have a devastating impact on a user’s image or brand image. I also think some people even make negative comments not to express their opinion, but to show that they are different.